How much sun does the area receive in summer and in winter?
Types of sunlight and shade:
What is the soil like that you intend to plant in?
- Soil consistency: Loamy, Sandy, Clayey, Potting Soil
- Soil pH: Acidic, Mildly Acidic, Neutral, Mildly Alkaline, Alkaline
- Soil moisture: Dry, Semi-dry, Average Moist, Moist, Wet,Watery
Or maybe it is to be grown as a container specimen or in combination with other plants.
- How large is the container?
- Will there be other companions in the container?
- Are you going to move the plant in in winter or will it stay indoors year round?
- How much light will it receive? If it is different at different times of the year that will be important also. Also, it is important to understand that light from an incandescent, fluorescent, or non-grow-light type LED light, or other light is not equivalent to sunlight. Even with grow lights you may have to be within a few inches of the leaves for that light to be effective.
- If it is to be grown outdoors then we still need to know your zone.
Other important factors to you might include:
- Evergreen, Deciduous
- Flower color range, peak flowering time, long flowering
- Woody or Herbaceous (a.k.a. like a perennial that grows cyclically)
- How large should it grow to? Both height and width may be important.
- How fast does it need to grow? Fast, Moderate, Slow
- Can it spread like some groundcovers do?
- Will the area be mulched? If so with what and how deep?
- Fragrant or not
- Deer resistant
- Attracts pollinators or seed/fruit eaters like:
So you are welcome to request suggestions and we will do what we can to accommodate you but please provide as much information as possible at the onset. That will save us both time and leg work. If you have a design or pictures please feel free to include those as well. In the end, please try to remember that we are just plant growers and lovers, like you, and our advice and suggestions are free. If you are looking for actual landscape and/or design work it is better to contact someone who specializes in that in the same way that we specialize in offering beautiful, unusual, exotic, and native plants. Thank you again for your interest in our plants and have a great day!